Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Journey

So I'm driving home and just thinking about getting there. Along the way I have to pass some road construction. The road narrows from one lane to two. I can see that I am not going to get past the cars next to me before I have to pull over so I just pull over. Just as I pull over the guy in front of me stops. Immediately my brain goes off... I say to myself,you idiot, what is the matter with people, doesn't anyone know how to drive. Well that was my initial reation, then I calmed down and realized that the car in front of him was turning right and he was just doing what he needed to do. It was then that I realized that I was so focused on getting from point A to point B that I was forgetting to enjoy the journey. I forgot that I was on that journey with many other people who are just trying to get from point A to point B. Sometimes I think that is how our lives are. We are so busy trying to get to the next place we say to ourselves; when I get that promotion, when I graduate from college, when I lose 10 pounds, when I...you fill in the blank. We are so busy trying to get to the next place, point B that we forget to enjoy today. Life is a journey not a destination. Remember to enjoy each moment and savor the times that bring you in contact with other human beings. They are on the same road you are and maybe they could use your smile, or a kind word. I know I could. So I want to make each moment count and try to remember to be kind, change that initial reaction to, Oh I wonder what is in front of that truck, I hope everything is alright; or just smile and wait patiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment