Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Keeping up with the Jones'
We have all heard the phrase, "Keeping up with the Jones'". We grow up with the belief we should pursue the "American Dream" Everyone should become a home owner! I have lived most of my Adult life as a renter. A few years ago my husband and I decided to purchase a home. I was really excited. We had a few dollars for a down payment, we got approved for the loan and we found this really great house in our price range. I always thought I wanted a yard, I wanted a place for my grand kids to come and play, and a garden. My husband always wanted a dog. Not long after we moved in we got a 1/2lab 1/2 weimeriner dog. He was so cute. It took about 5 months for this tiny little puppy to grow into a huge animal. The problem is he was still a puppy he needed so much attention. He was too big for his dog house and so I blocked off the stairs and made a place for him in the entryway. I came home to a ripped up floor. He quickly destroyed our house. I said he is going outside. So we put up a fence and put a shelter out there for him. I tried to take him on walks and train him but he was too much for me. My husband (who's dog he was supposed to be) has a bad leg and there was no way that he could handle this dog. Eventually we found the dog a good home in the country. I tried to grow a garden. I found out that I have a black thumb. I also realized that I hate yard work. I seem to be the only one who is able or willing to do the work necessary to keep up with this house. Just before Christmas our water heater went out and we had to shell out the money for a new water heater. The joys of owning your own home are not such joys. We are in over our heads and we do not have the financial means to keep up with this home. So 5 short years later we are selling this house. We are glad to do it. We will most likely loose money on this adventure and so for me the "American dream" has not been a great thing. I have learned something from this experience that is valuable and so this time has not been wasted. I have learned that it is not important what others tell you is important. I am an individual. My husband and I are not cardboard cutouts of the "perfect" family. We have our own likes and dislikes and our own talents and abilities. If we decide not to own a home that is up to us and it has nothing to do with success or failure. I always felt like a failure in my life because I didn't have that "normal" life. My life has been it's own journey and I should be able to be happy with that journey. By the same token to judge someone by the place they live or the work that they do is crazy. Today I heard Dave Ramsey say that really wealthy people don't care what other people think. They don't have to have the fancy cars or the big houses. They can if they want but most of them live below their means. I am learning something about living within your means and being happy and satisfied with what you have. My husband and I are very close to being out of debt. This did not happen because we won the lottery. We have been slowliy but consistantly making payment and slowly but surely one by one we have seen our debts paid off. I will be really excited when we have no more loans to pay off and no more obligation to anything but our living expences. I am happy to live in a rental, if the water heater breaks it is the landlords problem. I don't need a garden, I just kill the plants anyway. What I need is a warm place where my family can gather. Where we can have a meal and a good conversation. I need a reliable but not fancy car, preferably with no car payment. I have everything else, a great husband, a wonderful family, good friends, and God. What more can a girl ask for?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a great ending to your story! If only the rest of the world knew that :)
ReplyDelete