Sunday, May 9, 2010
Police protection
What is your oppinion on calling the police for a neighbor who plays his music too loud? Today I was with a friend and we were enjoying the evening outside on her porch. Her son was playing in the front yard and we were having a good conversation. Then we started to get serenaded by some loud music with profane lyrics. I commented to my friend about the free concert. She said ya isn't it great? Then we determined approximately where it was coming from and called the police to complain. The police came out about 15 minutes later, talked to the neighbors and then came over to talk to us. The police offecer seemed to be annoyed that he had to come out for that call. I was also concerned that he came over to talk to us as soon as he got done talking to the neighbors down the street. Don't you think that those kind of calls should be annonymous? It is not very annonymous when the police officer stops his police car in front of your house and gets out to talk to you. We can hope that the people who where disturbing the peace are not crazy and take this all in stride. But what if they are crazy, or just drunk enough to want to get into a fight. Maybe it would be better if they did not have a clue who made the call. I hope and pray, for my friends sake that her neighbors are nice people who just had a desire to play their music too loud, and are sane and sober enough to just comply without feeling the need to retaliate. They did turn down the music and the street seemed to be peaceful enough when I left her. But, what do you think? Did she have the right to call the police? Do our police have the duty to protect us? Maybe I'm paranoid or have watched too many spy movies but I was really surprise at this police officers response to this call.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have thought about this before too, I think that our safety is a lot more fragile than we think. I think that as americans we have come to believe that it is the government's job to protect us and to avenge us but really we need to be aware and watch out. There are a lot of refugees here in Boise and they can all tell you of stories of not being safe and having no one to protect them but themselves. Kind of scary.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I am excited about your blog mom!